Monday, May 25, 2009

Leaks

As I mentioned in previous posts, we purchased a Frigidaire FDBB4365FC3 dishwasher from Best Buy in July 2008 and just determined it has a design flaw.

But in November 2008 when we started having leaks from the door, we had no clue what we were in store for over the next 6 months.

One morning, after running the dishwasher overnight, we noticed a pool of water on the floor. We didn't think much of it (Assumed we spilt something while loading the dishwasher and mopped it up. A few days later, I was running the dishwashBlogger: Frigidaire Dishwasher Design Flaw - Create Poster and noticed that my feet were wet. I investigated further and saw water frothing out of the bottom of the dishwasher.

I immediately called up Frigidaire who wasted no time in giving me the number for a local service company. It took a few days for them to come out and take a look at it and a few weeks for them to order a replacement gasket/seal for the door (during which time I couldn't use the dishwasher). The warranty repair, although slow was relatively uneventful but I did learn a few important facts:

1) This leak happens regularly on this model of dishwasher. A few quick searches on google or store sites show that this has been an increasingly popular problem.
2) Frigidaire knew of this problem enough to create a service flash notice and issue a new, improved part.
3) Frigidaire did not actively reach out to existing customers to alert them to this issue. Apparently waiting for water to leak onto people's floors (and then have a dishwasher unusable for 2 weeks while the part is ordered) is acceptable customer service policy.
4) The service company spends much of their time fixing these issues.

2 comments:

  1. Frigidaire have completely removed this service flash notice from anywhere. My dishwasher has recently been POURING water on the floor. I bought this dishwasher due to my crappy builder-grade GE dishwasher that the builder installed, and leaked within 2 weeks causing significant damage to my kitchen. This dishwasher is apparently as poorly designed, but cost 3 times the amount.

    ReplyDelete